CHS Otaku Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Forum of the Centennial High School Otaku Club

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  GalleryGallery  

PARALLELS IN FAITH

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Psyche
Mibu Wolf
Mibu Wolf
Psyche

Female
Number of posts : 205
Nickname : Sasamich!
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 9:46 am

Um, I notice ALOT of parallels in anime to real life and other anime. So I was reading Life of Pi and Pi practices three religons: His native Hinduism, Christianity and Islam, and the way he described it, I started relating those three religons to different anime, like Hinduism would be parallel to Naruto with it's many many gods and stories. And Christianity to Neon Genesis Evangelion with it's humanity and sacrifice. And then Islam, I wasn't so sure for a while what to compare it to, Yann Martel described it as a beautiful brotherhood; a wonderful fellowship of people who help each other in their small communities. I dun know, but I thought Kingdom Hearts would be perfect for Islam.

I don't know why I like picking things apart so much. ^_^ It's the psychologist in me.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
MrSexyItachi
Mangekyo Eye
Mangekyo Eye
MrSexyItachi

Male
Number of posts : 477
Nickname : Itachi-kun
Registration date : 2006-08-21

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 2:32 pm

ummmm personally i veiw Naruto as shintoism.... if you look they basically took many shinto myths and put them into a new story.... like the 9 tailed fox use to be a myth
Back to top Go down
Honey
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Honey

Female
Number of posts : 919
Nickname : Mr. President

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 2:56 pm

also, Chakaras are something people use for meditation, and Alchemy is an abandoned science from a long time ago. (there is A LOT of things from FMA that are true, like the island of shambala and the thuel society.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_is_lovelove_is_life
Psyche
Mibu Wolf
Mibu Wolf
Psyche

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 3:05 pm

Yeah, I was kinda thinking on where to put FMA, I think it's kinda Pagan, but I'm not familar with that faith, so I'm not sure.

I'm also not familar with Shintoism, so... ^_^
Back to top Go down
Honey
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Honey

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 3:09 pm

yeah, i'm agnostic so i don't know a lot about religions, but i have a few alchemy books, and i have done a lot of research on it...so yeah, it is pretty interesting :3
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Mibu Wolf
Mibu Wolf
Psyche

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 9:18 pm

Aw, doode, d'ya think it's possible that Jesus was actually a super secret ninja and actually used chakra to walk on water? ^_^
Back to top Go down
MrSexyItachi
Mangekyo Eye
Mangekyo Eye
MrSexyItachi

Male

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptySun Oct 22, 2006 4:35 pm

pst no, NEVER! but yeah, alchemy can be dark.... i too have read into it, the Thule Society did exist too and that was some scary shit right there.... tobad most were morons =P but hitler personally funded them 0.0: FMA though has close ties more to Christianity, they go by allot of the same morals, and FMA even uses the christianity vs islam fights as their main fued taking place. =P when you first look at it, it looks allot like alchemy but even their basic laws of alchemy are laws that god set.
Back to top Go down
Honey
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Honey

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyFri Dec 08, 2006 8:31 pm

oh i know! but fma sorta took the religon out...probably not to offend anyone...

but real alchemy was more of searching for inner enlightenment, and finding a way to expand your life [but not in the greedy sense that happens in fma]

Back to top Go down
HoBo_Zetsu_Chan
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
HoBo_Zetsu_Chan

Female
Number of posts : 181
Nickname : HoBo
Registration date : 2006-11-28

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptySun Dec 10, 2006 4:25 pm

woah i think Psyche has an idea but yeah um ^^; anyway the way I see it is all religions are strung together with their thoeries(sp?) in mind....yeah thule society... e.O all insanos if you ask me...you prolly aren't but yeah ^^;
Back to top Go down
MrSexyItachi
Mangekyo Eye
Mangekyo Eye
MrSexyItachi

Male

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyWed Dec 13, 2006 2:05 pm

actually Alchemy became greedy, thats why it was outlawed eventually, but that outlaw made it possible for modern day alchemy, chemistry. Allot of kings used the alchemists power but in the end the kings felt betrayed by the alchemists shelfishness =P i saw a history channel program about it.

anyways if anyone wants to talk about parrels in faith, i am free to, i have attended 2 discussions about it and have learned allot on how religion plays a part in cartoons and anime and how anime is different. even mechs are a big part of religion and where the pilot controls from. so lets start with a list-

astroboy- had the embodiment of a soul in him. He was controlled by his heart and felt robots and humans should live in peace although no one saw that. He protected both sides depending on who was being hurt or abused. he fought for good.

I wont name names- this was an anime created in WWII so for ovious reasons i will not go into much discussion about this. This robot was created by the father and was Piloted by the son by means of remote control. It was japans secret weapon against america so i wont go into much, but just that it was piloted by a 3rd party from a difference says allot of how the creators felt.

more to come, ran out of time in class
Back to top Go down
Honey
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Akatsuki (Staff) Member
Honey

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyWed Dec 13, 2006 5:08 pm

True alchemist wern't in it for their own greed, it is people who used them that caused a bad turn in alchemy. Personally, I wish alchemy would have panned out for them. Wouldn't that be amazing? Anywho...

What is this anime that you won't name? I'm very interested >.<

EDIT: waitwaitwait...it sounds sorta like
Eureka Seven

...but it probably isn't
Back to top Go down
Hentai-kun
Shinigami
Shinigami

Male
Number of posts : 34
Nickname : ....
Registration date : 2006-08-30

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyWed Dec 13, 2006 7:34 pm

The Thule Society was founded August 17, 1918 by Rudolf von Sebottendorff, a German occultist, as the Munich branch of the Germanenorden. Von Sebottendorff later claimed that he originally intended the Thule Society to be a vehicle for promoting his own occultist theories, but that the Germanenorden pressed him to emphasize political, nationalist and anti-Semitic themes. Since this claim was made while the Nazis were in power and von Sebottendorff had little to gain by denying anti-Semitism, it may well be true. Primary focus of Thule-Gesellschaft was a claim concerning the origins of the Aryan race. While it has been claimed that Adolf Hitler was a member there is no evidence for this claim. After Hitler came to power, the Thule Society was one of many organizations suppressed.

In the history of science, alchemy refers to both an early form of the investigation of nature and an early philosophical and spiritual discipline, both combining elements of chemistry, metallurgy, physics, medicine, astrology, semiotics, mysticism, spiritualism, and art. Alchemists believed that the universe was composed of the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water, and spent most of their time concocting remedies, poisons, and magic potions. The goals of alchemy are really simple. The transmutation of metals. The creation of an elixir that would prolong life indefinitely. The transmutation of human life. To search for the Philosophers Stone. As for the evil and dark world of alchemy most of that would be propaganda put out by the Holy Roman Catholic Church. They saw there power fading from the masses due to the growing power science. The demise of Western alchemy was brought about by the rise of modern science with its emphasis on experimentation.
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Mibu Wolf
Mibu Wolf
Psyche

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptySun Dec 17, 2006 2:30 am

Doode, I hadn't even heard of the Thule Society till now. o.o; That is kinda creepy.

Neon Genesis Evangelion had a TON of Christianity influences, like: Angels decending from God to try and take the Angel Lillith, the creature crucified on the cross, and initiate Third Impact (the mass destruction of the human race). Whenever an Angel blows up, it explodes in the shape of a cross.

In the End of Evangelion, Eva Unit-01 is "crucified" with the Lance of Longinus (the spear that supposedly stabbed Christ in the side). Kozou Fuyutsuki also remarks that "The fruit of life is held by the Angels, the fruit of wisdom is held by man. Shinji (the pilot of Unit-01) now posseses them both, and therefore becomes God." The fruit of wisdom was the fruit Eve bit into in the Garden of Eden.

A poupular belief among Eva fans was that Gendo, Shinji and Rei represented the Holy Trinity. Gendo (the Father) sent his only Son (Shinji) to die for humanity (In End of Eva Shinji became "God" for a little bit and chooses whether or not humans should exist sepreatly (with AT Feilds) or together (without AT fields)) and Rei is the Holy Spirit within all of us. She was the trigger for Third Impact, she was the one who would carry out Shinji's decision. Before everyone dies in End of Eva they see Rei and then the person they loved the most.

Um, O.o; this is really really hard to explain, I did the best I could, but I'm sure you're all pretty confused. >_< You kinda have to see it to understand.

EDIT: Evangelion was actually based on a mixture of the Christianity and the Jewish Kabbalah.

Also, I forgot to say, that Eva mentions the Dead Sea Scrolls and their importance in prediction the fate of humanity.
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Mibu Wolf
Mibu Wolf
Psyche

Female

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH EmptyTue Jan 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Okies, so here are the religons as follows:

Christianity: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Islam: Rorouni Kenshin Because, when Micah described it to me, um, Kenshin seemed like someone whose name you'd follow with Peace Be Upon Him, which is what the Muslims do for Muhammed. I dunno.

Shintoist: Naruto

Pagan: Full Metal Alchemist

I think that's it.... >_< I still need to find something for Judaism...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty
PostSubject: Re: PARALLELS IN FAITH   PARALLELS IN FAITH Empty

Back to top Go down

PARALLELS IN FAITH
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CHS Otaku Club :: Cafe de Otaku :: ANIMEted Theatre-
Jump to: